Do I need a sharpener if my knife set came with a sharpening steel?
The metal rod, or "steel", that came with your knife set will only realign the edge of the knife to make it straight again. It is not intended to sharpen a dull knife. A steel is a valuable tool for a knowledgeable user to hone the edges of many different kinds of knives after each use.
- Why are there specialized sharpeners for Asian and European kitchen knives?
- Is it better to use a manual or electric knife sharpener?
- Do I need a sharpener if my knife set came with a sharpening steel?
- What is the best manual knife sharpener?
- What is the best electric knife sharpener?
- How much do knife sharpeners cost?
- What is the least expensive type of knife sharpener?